Time 1h 45 minutes
Ingredients For the Pastry:
125g plain flour
A pinch of salt
40g coconut sugar (or brown sugar) 70g cold coconut oil 55g cold dairy free butter
60 ml cold water
For the Filling 220g apples, sliced 1/3-inch thick
3 ripe pears, cored, sliced 1/3-inch
Zest of 1/2 lemon
50g coconut sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
50g plain flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method 1. First, Make the pastry. Mix the flour, salt, and coconut sugar together in a food processor. Add the coconut oil and pulse until no large chunks remain. Add in the cold vegan butter and pulse to form pea-sized pieces. Be careful not to pulse too much. If you don't own a food processor, you can do this by hand using your fingertips to rub in the fats to the dry ingredients.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl and with a knife, stir in the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time. Using a knife helps to cut through the dough and is easier to stir with. Stop adding water when large clumps of dough begin to form.
3. Transfer to a floured surface and knead lightly to bring together. Cover with wax wrap and press down to form a thick disc. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour. 4. Make the filling while the dough is resting. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator until the dough is ready.
5. Preheat oven to 180 ° C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
6. Now, assemble the galette, take the dough out of the refrigerator and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to a 12-inch circle. Don’t worry about it being perfectly round; any round shape will do. Place onto the lined baking tray.
7. Take the fruit out from the refrigerator and arrange it (not the juice) into the middle of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border all around. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, overlapping where necessary. Press gently to seal.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until the pears are tender, and crust is golden brown. Leave on tray to cool slightly before serving.