Total Time: 1H
Ingredients Cake 50g Cocoa powder 180g Self raising flour 1/2 tsp Baking powder 200g Golden caster sugar 250g Cooked beetroot 3 Medium eggs 200ml Sunflower or vegetable oil
150g Dark chocolate, finely chopped
Icing 100g Butter or dairy free alternative 300g Icing sugar 1 tsp Vanilla extract
2- 3 tbsp Beetroot juice from cooking the beetroot earlier 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C
2. Grease and line the bottom of a 23cm cake tin.
3. Sieve the cocoa, flour, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
4. Drain the beetroot (taking some water for the icing), then blend in a food processor. Add the eggs one at a time, then pour in the oil. Blend the mixture until the liquid is just smooth.
5. Add the chocolate to the dry ingredients and gradually add to the beetroot mix. Pour into the tin. Cook for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Meanwhile make the icing
6. Cream the butter and vanilla for 1 minute
7. Gradually add the icing sugar, cocoa and beetroot juice.
8. Let the cake cool slightly and remove from the tin
9. Let the cake cool completely before icing.
This recipe is great to make as cupcakes too. Split the mixture between 12 cupcake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.